Monday, November 13, 2006

An Introduction to My Blog

After months upon months of heckling and chiding from friends, I have started a blog. I am by all means a laggard when it comes to these things, but I do come around eventually. Hopefully the blog will inspire me to catalogue my thoughts, dreams, stories, and photos for your general entertainment. But I half-wonder whether this blog will go down in a field of flame and heather as time passes. I suppose it will continue as long as I have friends and/or enemies who take interest in what I have to write.

In explanation of my blog's title and the subsequent poem from which I derived the title, it comes from William Butler Yeats and is titled Who Goes with Fergus? Part of the poem appears in the early part of James Joyce's Ulysses. Upon a recent reading of the early part of the book (no Matt, I'm not starting over again), I found the poem struck a chord with me. I am not yet sure who Fergus is; I guess I should look that up. However, if my blog is going to accomplish anything, I hope that it catches the spirit of that poem. Adam Duritz writes in his song Goodnight L.A. "what brings me down now is love, cause I can never get enough." Is that what it means to brood upon love's bitter mystery? I'm not sure, but it's what it means to me. So anyway, I hope my blog will allow you to laugh and cry and celebrate and mourn (where appropriate), and in the end to take your mind off of love's bitter mystery, to realize that we are all in this crazy world together to make it truly meaningful.

So lift up your russet brow, young man, and you your tender eyelids, maid. All is not lost as long as we have each other.

Finally, I feel like I need to start with a simple laugh to get this thing rolling, so I turn to you Leigh Ann, and your favorite joke of all time (pardon me if I paraphrase):

Some muffins were in an oven when one muffin proclaimed: "Man is it hot in here!" to which another muffin replied: "Holy crap, a talking muffin!"

5 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new blog. I for one will enjoy reading all-time Ben classics which I'm sure will be posted here.

I do have one question about this quote...

"Hopefully the blog will inspire me to catalogue my thoughts, dreams, stories, and photos for your general entertainment."

Are you going to get a digital camera for Christmas so you can catalogue these photos? :)

Oh, and thanks for posting my joke. Now many others can enjoy nice, clean muffin humor.

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

I've added you to my blog feeds. Best of luck with your jaunt into the 21st century.

Peter said...

You're well ahead of me, Ben. I have a Mac dated circa 1997, and couldn't get it online if I tried . . .

The qoute is fantastic, ideal. And there's the Ireland connection right there.

I'll be checking what you're up to and in-to regularly.

thehighriselife said...

welcome to the world of blogging! i'm loving leigh ann's joke :)