Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Scottish Drinking Song at the Iron Post

Tonight I went to the Iron Post for a Champaign-Urbana Storytelling Guild fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. Some of the storytellers were quite entertaining, but if they left me bored at all, they lost me, because the Illinois game was playing quietly on the televisions and my eyes would wander over against my will.

The last guy who told a story also brought up a guitar, and he sang for everyone a Scottish drinking song. Well I'm a sucker for folkish drinking songs where everyone joins in, so I thought I'd share the chorus with you all:

So be at ease
When you're drinking with me
I'm a man you don't meet everyday

I don't know what was so unique about the man in the song, but he did say that he would buy everyone's drinks for the entire evening, so I guess that's pretty unique. Writing it out, there's nothing too special about the chorus, but it just got me thinking about enjoying some drinks with friends. If anyone is up for a night of beer and laughter, let me know, because I'm overdue. So be at ease, cause the first round's on me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Oh my name is Jock Stewart, I'm a canny gaun man, and a roving young fellow I've been.

So be easy and free, when you're drinking with me, I'm a man you won't meet everyday!

So come fill your glasses, with brandy and wine, and whatever the cost I will pay!"

Oh, I love that song! Niall's traditional Irish band plays it. The boys play a gig at teh Hole in the Wall pub every Saturday night and there's no feeling to match a warm dark pub with good music, good whiskey, and good friends.

Ben you should come visit Ireland again.

thehighriselife said...

wow, you go to some random events ;). next time i drink, i'll be sure to call you up. or whenever i want to just talk. whichever comes first..

Benjamin Jameson said...

Jessica . . . good to hear from you! I'm actually thinking of coming to Ireland in February. I'm going to see if they'll let me walk for graduation a year later. I saw ticket prices are ridiculously cheap from Chicago to Dublin, so I'll keep you updated.

And thanks for correcting me on that song, I knew the last line didn't sound right. I wish I could sing it with you, but maybe I will in a few months. I'll have to send you an email soon. Take care.